"If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time."
— Steve Jobs
Marc is a Director in the Tax Practice focusing on real estate.
He has over 20 years’ experience managing complex tax matters for limited liability companies, corporations and partnerships. At Hanson & Company, Marc’s main focus is on managing the tax planning, compliance and structuring needs of real estate companies. He offers guidance on the acquisition, operation and disposition of retail properties, office buildings and single purpose structures. Beyond this his clients rely on him to create tax efficient transactions and operating structures. While he works with clients across various industries, his passion is real estate accounting. He has experience advising clients on transactions, tax planning and compliance with state and regulatory authorities.
Marc has specific experience in the following areas of real estate accounting:
- Partnership tax compliance for over 5 million square feet of industrial and commercial properties, including office, retail, residential and industrial buildings.
- Timely delivery of Schedule K-1s to thousands of investors on an annual basis.
- Review, consultation and implementation of the tangible property regulations.
- In depth analysis on equity structures, waterfall provisions, and debt allocations.
- Cost segregation studies and analysis.
- Planning and compliance for tax-deferred transactions under IRC Sections 1031 and 1033.
- Economic analysis and review of partnership agreements, including required tax
Prior to joining the Firm, Marc spent several years in private industry managing tax compliance issues and implementing tax strategies for Time Warner Entertainment Company. He started his career with the Big 4 working managing the tax needs of partnerships and corporations for both Arthur Anderson and KPMG.
Marc received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the University of Colorado at Boulder and Master of Taxation from Colorado State University. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants. He is licensed as a CPA in both Colorado and Montana. In addition, Marc is actively involved in the community serving in various leadership roles for Invest in Kids and the Colorado Prevention Center.
- Colorado CPA License No. 17119
- Montana CPA License No. 5345